[Amps] Too much filtering

Richard 2@mail.vcnet.com
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 08:32:34 -0800

>Hello,
>
>     Interesting discussion on glitch resistors...
>    I have a HV ps with 10   1800 uf  @ 450 volt filter caps.     So I
>am assuming that the total capacitance for the B+ is  180UF
>
>   Question
>    I am using a variac to bring the HV up to 3000 vdc slowly.  Is this
>too much capacitance for a stepstart circuit?

€  no.  I used the step-start circuit shown in Figure 1 on my Web site to
step-start a 14kW amplifier.  Since this circuit's step-point is
principally determined by the HV filter capacitor, it will work with
virtually any amplifier.  As a rule of thumb, the resistance chosen
should limit the mains startup current to <that of the relay contacts.

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end