[Amps] Source for 220V cords

Gary Schafer garyschafer@attbi.com
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 17:09:49 -0500

A window air conditioner cord is what you want. They have a molded plug on them,
although they are not usually all that long. Can be found in Home Depot, Lows or
probably most larger hardware stores.

By the way I think that a 15 amp 220 plug has one blade turned 90 degrees and
the 20 amp plug has both blades 90 degrees from what a standard 120 volt plug
would be.
These are all 3 wire plugs. 2 hot and ground. No neutral connection. I think
that the SB220 will run without the neutral on 220 vac.

You can find matching receptacles also. A single 220 receptacle will fit in
place of a dual 120 receptacle in the wall box. If I remember right, the 20 amp
receptacle has one side with a 2 way slot so it will accept a 15 or 20 amp plug.

I know that the 30 amp plugs get into the twist lock type. They may also make a
20 amp twist lock.

If your amp needs a neutral wire when operated on 220V then you need to go to a
4 wire 20 or 30 amp plug. These are all twist lock type and get rather
expensive. I just looked the other day. Receptacle is about $15.00 to $20.00 and
the plugs are $12.00 to $18.00
These by the way will fit in a standard outlet wall box.

Most of the larger stuff like the dryer and stove outlets are surface mount.

All this is US type. Other countries I am sure are quite different.

By the way I once ran my SB200 on 220 volts and used the same power cord and
just twisted one of the prongs 90 degrees so it would fit the 220 socket. I have
since rewired it back to 120 and twisted the prong back for 120 volts. It is
still fine after 30 some years!

73
Gary  K4FMX