[Amps] 10 Meters

Don Havlicek n8de@thepoint.net
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:54:58 -0500

As an 'old-timer', I can see the difficulty that has arisen due to the
ATROCIOUS 'International Phonetic Code' that was adopted because it was
in use by the US Military!
There is a simpler phonetic code that was in use by DXers for decades:

A = America
B = Brazil
C = Canada
D = Denmark
etc.....
Wish that HAMS would use a system like this!
Using country names is SO MUCH clearer!

Take, for example, MY CALL:  N8DE  ... which now is:  November 8 Delta
Echo .... at the DX end, that sometimes is heard as :  November 8 Echo
Hotel ... NO KIDDING! .. have had that problem for over 20 years! .. SO,
I use the phonetics:  Norway 8 Denmark England ... or [for
Spanish-speaking stations] .. Nicaragua Ohcho Denamarka Ecuador ... !

Don - N8DE