[Amps] Phonetics

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:59:56 -0500

At 07:00 AM 3/14/02 -0800, Colin Lamb wrote:
>I have found a simple approach to understanding phonetics of a dx contest
station.  Sometimes I cannot understand the call sign of a strong station.
I figure half the problem is at my end and the other half is at the
transmitting end.  Repeats do not seem to help.  So I say 73 and listen for
awhile.  If I listen long enough, some kind soul on this end will repeat
his call sign and I can log that.

Speaking of phonetics, anyone remember the VU4 who was spotted during the
ARRL phone contest?  I don't normally operate assisted, but I was just
foolin' around, not even using my contest logger.  The sequence of spots
with VU4, YU4, and finally UU4, which was what it was, would have been
funny if it wasn't a little sad.  The guy's accent wasn't even very heavy,
but he was talking realllllly fast and distorting some.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org