[Amps] Re: HV Voltmeters

carl seyersdahl carlseye@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:44:25 -0500

You might want to open that meter and see if there's a shunt inside. Frankly
, I don't remember seeing any meters with 100 or 500 ma. basic movements. ,
but I have seen some with shunts inside and scales for the higher current
levels!!!! .02 cents worth!!
   carl / kz5ca
----- Original Message -----
From: "David & Wendy Dodds" <gm4wll@talisman41.freeserve.co.uk>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 1:10 PM
Subject: [Amps] Re: HV Voltmeters

> Many thanks to everyone who answered my post - there were a heck of a lot
of you! Good to know there are so many people around who are prepared to
help!

> It looks like the best solution is to change the meter for a 1mA one.
>
> I thought the meter value seemed high, but some of the parts for the PSU
came from an old PSU I bought off a ham who was giving up and he had used a
500mA meter to measure the HT voltage, so I guessed my 100mA one was ok! I
should have realised from all the dodgy construction practices I found when
I dismantled his psu that I shouldn't base anything on his judgement!!! We
live and learn!