[Amps] SB-220 WARC bands

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:59:20 -0500

At 06:59 AM 3/25/02 -0500, Tom Rauch wrote:

>The factory designed rating for the SB-220 is 1kW INPUT (~600w
>output) on CW and RTTY, and 2KW PEP on SSB (~1200 watts
>PEP out) on SSB.

Seems like this has been discussed a few times, but ....

The SB-220 is capable of far more than that -- 1 KW input was the *legal*
limit in those days.  Driven with 100-110 watts, an SB-220 will/should make
at least 900-1000 real watts output on CW when run in the SSB (high
voltage) position, and will do that year after year.  NMine measures about
850 watts out on 12 and 17 meters, so even allowing for measurement
tolerances, Bert's doesn't sound up to snuff.  I wrote him off-reflector
asking what the input SWR and driving power indications are, thinking that
maybe his transceiver is rolling back its output.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org