[Amps] Nonsense

Steve Thompson g8gsq@qsl.net
Thu, 16 May 2002 19:49:03 +0000

On Thursday 16 May 2002 18:02, Maurizio Panicara wrote:
> Hi steve,
>
> there is no doubt that spurs or products of various type may be generated
> along a wide spectrum in the most strange or unpredictable ways, but no sub
> harmonic is existing in the strict sense, the term is not poor choice is
> totally unproper.
> I would like to know, it intrigues me very much, how to produce a real
> (true) frequency division using analog linear circuits and a sine wave
> carrier.
In linear circuits, I expect it's not possible, but few circuits are without
non-linear aspects that become significant under some conditions. As best I
remember the article I read, the argument goes that if anything (even noise,
maybe) causes f/2 to appear in a circuit, then IMD between f/2 and f produces
3f/2, then both f and 2f with 3f/2 produce f/2 and so on, so it can become
stable and self sustaining if the circumstances are right. The same analysis
can apply to f/3 etc. It's very common to find it when doing load pull tests
on solid state PAs.

Steve