[Amps] Non-linear subharmonics was: Nonsense, AL-1500 parasitic

jeff millar wa1hco@adelphia.net
Sat, 18 May 2002 08:02:24 -0400

Here's two web pages that discusses using variable capacitance to produce
gain at f/2 as part of a larger discussion of varactor diodes and parametric
amplifiers..  These pages specifically discusses why f/2 works.

    http://www.tpub.com/neets/book11/45k.htm
    http://www.tpub.com/neets/book11/45l.htm

I know this doesn't directly address the question of oscillation or signals
at f/2, but apparently that technique lived and died before the internet so
only exists in libraries.  Steve Thompson's email of 5/16 described the
mechanism well:

        In linear circuits, I expect it's not possible, but few circuits are
without
    non-linear aspects that become significant under some conditions. As
best I
    remember the article I read, the argument goes that if anything (even
noise,
    maybe) causes f/2 to appear in a circuit, then IMD between f/2 and f
produces
    3f/2, then both f and 2f with 3f/2 produce f/2 and so on, so it can
become
    stable and self sustaining if the circumstances are right. The same
analysis
    can apply to f/3 etc. It's very common to find it when doing load pull
tests
    on solid state PAs.

    Steve

I'm still looking for the proper references.  Does anyone have a textbook on
varactor multiplier theory and design?

In general parametric amplifier theory uses an RF "pump" to dump energy into
a non-linear device, which then can look like a negative resistance
terminating a transmissionn line.  And negative resistance terminations have
the characteristic of reflecting more power than incident.   Given gain and
a circuit, you can generate an oscillator...and that oscillator can
injection lock to the pump...thus transforming input energy to subharmonics.

jeff, wa1hco