[Amps] 8877 - Which Bias voltage ?

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:26:24 -0600

> I am about to activate an RFPP-1000 amp which uses
> 1 - 8877 @ 2750v. (exactly what '5PRO recently described.)

I have converted several of these.
If you remove the choke, add 30 mfd or so filter capacitor,
and step-start, you will be able to set the taps on the HV
transformer to 4 kv under load. You will then need a 12 volt
zener for proper bias. I use the 50 watt units for simplicity.
The 8877 seems to shift into "overdrive" @ 3800-3900 volts
on the anode. Less drive required, and c. 2200 watts output,
but you will need the 12 volt zener to keep ZSAC below 180 ma.
Be sure to set the heater voltage @ the tube pins to 5 volts or a little
less....some of these units came tapped @ 104 volts on the filament
primary when the unit was used on a 208 volt service.
I hope this helps.
(((73)))
Phil, K5PC