[Amps] Re: more on the HFS1000G RFPP amplifier

Rich 2@vc.net
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:12:34 -0800

>Certainly a consideration. If I build another one of those, I would
>want to get a custom choke made, like I did in 1983. And capacitor. I
>had a pair of polypropylene dielectric 0.97 uf 2500 VAC units,
>similar to microwave oven caps, in series, across the choke. The
>choke was tapped for 50 or 60 Hz action. Worked extremely well.
>However, the C input does seem to be quite workable, if you limit
>follow on energy in an arc as well as the surge current to the diodes
>from charging the caps.

3A diodes are good for 200A-peak, and there are few transformers whose
secondary is capable of anything close.    A glitch R in the HV+ is a
good idea no matter what filter is used.  The main drawback to a C-filter
is peak mains current.