[Amps] more on the HFS1000G RFPP amplifier

John T. M. Lyles jtml@lanl.gov
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:03:33 -0700

Certainly a consideration. If I build another one of those, I would
want to get a custom choke made, like I did in 1983. And capacitor. I
had a pair of polypropylene dielectric 0.97 uf 2500 VAC units,
similar to microwave oven caps, in series, across the choke. The
choke was tapped for 50 or 60 Hz action. Worked extremely well.
However, the C input does seem to be quite workable, if you limit
follow on energy in an arc as well as the surge current to the diodes
from charging the caps.

Our HFS1000G doesn't need the stiffer power supply, now that i have
closed loop control of the forward power with my ALC controller.

Sidelight:

At home, I am working on AM transmitter with choke input AND a big C.
Using a pair of chokes, one in the neg CT lead of the tranny, and
another in the plus ouput of the rectifiers. One is a 5-20 H
Thordarson swinging choke and the other is 8 H fixed I believe. Cap
is a single 40 uF NWL unit that I found, which was originally for
pulsed apps. I called them and they suggested it will be good for DC
filter at 120 Hz, no problem.

73
John
K5PRO