[Amps] Vishay/Dale Glitch Resistors

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:19:17 +0100

Glenn McNeil wrote:
> I seem to remember that someone on this list mentioned a Mouser part
>number for a suitable
>Vishay Dale power resistor for HV Glitch use...any idea what that part
>number was. I've just
>been searching through the Mouser Catalog, but can't seem to locate them.

Try the Ohmite 20 series. Any physically long vitreous enamel type
should be OK - connect 10 ohm or 15 ohm resistors in series to build up
the required wattage and surge voltage capability.

>I'm planning on a 2500 VDC supply with 40 uf of C, to run a single 4CX800.

20-30 ohms of glitch resistor usually works OK - but don't forget to
turn the mains off quickly as well. As a minimum, use a low-rated,
fast-acting mains fuse (and that means you'll also need a gentle
step-start).

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'