[Amps] Why do people post to individual and AMPS ?

tongaloa tongaloa@alltel.net
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:10:43 -0400

It has long been considered polite to end a direct email
in addition to a 'list' email. This is especially true
for replies to usenet posts. Why?
Lists: Many read in digest mode. It's nice to see the reply
straight away. Some forward list mail to a home or office
machine and personal email to a portable device. Again,
it's nice to have a direct reply.
Usenet: Because of the propagation delays in news, it's
polite because it minimizes the delay and allows a timely
counter.

In the old days of the internet, mail could take days
and usenet could take weeks to update. These days, it's
not that big a deal. Girls don't curtsey anymore so
I suspect the practice will fade away eventually.

I've been active on the internet since the DARPA
net days, over 20 years, so you can believe me :-)

73,
Bob ah7i

P.S.

This particular list is configured so the <reply to>
field reflects the address of the poster. This serves to enforce the old
ettiquette by taking advantage of mans
natural tendency toward laziness as it's easier to
edit the <to> field. Other lists are set up with the list
address in the <reply to> field.