[Amps] Glitch resistors

2 2@vc.net
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 02:24:32 -0700

We buy Ohmite glass-coated/vitreous resistors for glitch service.  They
are not as tough as high-energy discharge type resistors, but they cost
Much less $$.  A 10-ohm, 10Wer will discharge a 3kV SB-220, TL-922 ps
without damage.  We used to use cheaper resistors - but they arced
between turns, blew apart, and threw schrapnel about during a glitch.  My
guess is that glass-coating improves the insulating ability from turn to
turn during a major fault.  For more than 3kV, two or more such resistors
in series will do the job.  For a higher amount of joules [C >30uF],
additional units are needed.  //  If you need some of these resistors, we
sell them for $1.50 each.  To order, send adr, we send parts, pay from
invoice.  Shipping is $1.00.  //  Also, mfg V-ratings on power resistors
are usually the case to ground V-rating, not the end-to-end V-rating for
glitch duty.  The only test for such a resistor is the big screwdriver
short to ground test -- i.e., if there is no subsequent physical damage,
the resistor is up to the job.  If one finds damage, go with additional
units in series.

cheerz, Pete.