[Amps] Re: PS project part2

2 2 at vc.net
Mon Apr 14 04:11:31 EDT 2003

>Pat said:
>
>>Would cycling them, say yearly, at least, enhance reliability?
>
>In the UK, protective circuit breakers doing earth leakage ( called RCD,
>residual Current Devices) are supposed to be tripped every 3 months because
>of them showing a tendency to stick.
>
>Since they insisted on fitting the damn things when I had some rewiring
>done slat year, I can't use the linear with the dipole on 80m - the damn
>breaker trips at 250watts out because of the RF getting into it.

€  Some workarounds:
1.  put a RF bypass C across the RCD.
2.  add a coaxial RF choke [4 to 5-metres of coax wound single-layer on
3" to 4" ABS plastic sewer pipe] to the dipole's feedline to keep RF from
returning to the radio-room (and the mains) on the outside of the shield.
 The best place for the choke is at the dipole's center feedpoint
3.  replace the RCD with a conventional breaker and inform house
residents that it is no lomger safe to take a shower or bath with a hair
dryer.