[Amps] Re: PS project part2

2 2 at vc.net
Wed Apr 16 06:17:50 EDT 2003

>Rich said;
>
>>2.  add a coaxial RF choke [4 to 5-metres of coax wound single-layer on
>>3" to 4" ABS plastic sewer pipe] to the dipole's feedline to keep RF from
>>returning to the radio-room (and the mains) on the outside of the shield.
>>The best place for the choke is at the dipole's center feedpoint
>
>The dipole is fed with open wire line, so that it can be used on other
>bands. RF ammeters in the remote automatic antenna tuner suggest the
>currents in the two feed wires are substantially equal. One leg of the
>dipole runs over the house, and my suspicion is that the field produced by
>it induces currents in the house wiring.

€   I agree.   However, near-field RF could still be induced on the coax
shield going to the balanced tuner, so I would still use a coax choke to
minimize RF getting into the radio-room.  //  Does the tuner utilise a
ferrite balun?

>probably ferrite chokes on the
>feed in and out of the RCD are the best answer, although the form of the
>switchbox and its location make that a little difficult physically.
>
>>3.  replace the RCD with a conventional breaker and inform house
>>residents that it is no longer safe to take a shower or bath with a hair
>dryer.
>
>Tempting, but somewhat illegal over here. The nanny state, you know!

€   In California, it is quite seriously illegal to carry a slingshot in
one's pocket.  Until it is illegal to manufacture RCD breakers that are
not RF-resistant, I would not use 'em.

cheers, Peter.

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end