[Amps] re: relay closure

skipp isaham nospam4me at juno.com
Thu Aug 14 21:38:22 EDT 2003

re: relay closure
-
Hi Paul,
-
I made a post or two on amps about my relay test
results. Rich was the only one who sent me any
comments. My notes show the last big hot switch
debate went on circa November 02.
-
The application was a Research Project (now
published) which used the 0-7kv power supply
I built into the old PC computer Tower using
surplus parts http://sonic.ucdavis.edu/hvps
(sorry, I'm not in any of the people pics at the
bottom)
-
I used some very high end scopes to see
how the various relays preformed using
speedup circuits and conventional controls.
-
I quickly discarded the relays because I could
not get performance acceptable in my
opinion based on 3 days worth of testing
many types of Kilovac and Jennings
vacuum relays. I burned a few coils out
in the testing process.
-
Even though the scopes recorded the
pronounced bouncing, I did not think to
save the relay test results. I quickly moved
on to using fets for the project.
-
Some posts made to amps result in more
work than I have or want to make time to
deal with.  I've still got the relays, high end
scopes and the circuits. If I have some free
time, I might go back an re-record the
results of similar testing. Right now I don't
have the extra time to spare for the task.
-
cheers
skipp
-