[Amps] pink ceramics

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Wed Aug 20 14:52:02 EDT 2003

Pink ceramic was high in magnesium content I believe. It came from
the Frenchtown ceramic factory, and was used by RCA for many years on
their expensive Cermelox tetrodes and other big tubes (up to $100K in
value). Purple/pink hue came in some Russian tubes from their own
similar source. The US source has dried up, and now alumina ceramics
come from others like Coors, Wesgo, Kyocera. We don't know of any
advantage over the pink except it was 'pretty' and unique. I have a
gold plated 8501 tetrode on my shelf at work, with violet ceramic,
from RCA/Burle Industries.

73
john
K5PRO