[Amps] 220V service for amplifier

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Dec 3 06:25:19 EST 2003

>Use a NEMA 6-20R and corresponding plug. For 20 amps, you need #12
>conductors or larger.  I use 3 #10 conductors with a 20 amp circuit breaker
>on my Centurion.

**  For powering a single-phase amplifier with a capacitor-type HV
filter, it is better to go with larger gauge wire than the electrical
code specifies because I-peak is typically 10x I-average for capacitor
filters.  As a rule of thumb, for longish runs to big-uns, I use the
largest gauge Cu wire that will fit in the receptical terminals.
However, for resonant-choke filter supplies, the opposite effect takes
place - but on a smaller scale, which is why Henry Radio's old 2k and 3k
line of amplifiers are ideal for operation from a 120v outlet.

>The three conductors to the Centurion and to your (receptical) are two hot
>conductors and ground (not Neutral).  The centurion does not use the neutral
>to develop 120 volts for the fan on a 240 v connection.
>If you tie it to the neutral, there is a possibility of a voltage
>differentail between the amp chassis and the earth ground which can create a
>dangerous situation.

**  But only if the neutral wire is severed while the radio operator is
standing in water without wearing  his fishin' boots.