[Amps] 220V service for amplifier

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 08:00:11 EST 2003

R. Measures wrote:
>>If you tie it to the neutral, there is a possibility of a voltage
>>differentail between the amp chassis and the earth ground which can create a
>>dangerous situation.
>>
>**  But only if the neutral wire is severed while the radio operator is
>standing in water without wearing  his fishin' boots.

Getting a shock is much easier than that.

In many amateur stations, we are also bringing *other* good earth
grounds into the shack via the antenna cables. If the chassis is not
already connected to ground, there's a very high risk of picking up a
plug and bridging the potential difference between your two hands. The
voltage probably isn't very high, but the current passes right through
your chest...

The other scenario where a low-voltage shock can easily kill you
involves touching a cable coming out of the shack that isn't properly
grounded... when you happen to be at the top of a grounded metal ladder.

If you think these won't happen to you... well, they've *both* happened
to me. I was lucky each time, and the shock was only a low-level
"tingle" - but I reckon my luck is all used up now, so I take
precautions instead.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
                            Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'