[Amps] Bird water load ratings

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Sat Dec 13 10:28:13 EST 2003

I have attempted to run 1 kW Bird water loads at higher peaks, in a
pulsed amplifier for work.  Talking to the Bird people convinced me
that it was not a good idea, that thin film on ceramic resistors that
they (and Altronics in Arkansas) use cannot take much peak voltage.
However, I believe that you are talking more about just overdrive,
for short periods. I would not recommend it with these loads if they
have any value to you (if you paid much for them). You could run with
a higher Delta Temperature in your water lines, but then you start
running the risk of boiling on the surface of the resistor. If there
is imperfect laminar flow inside the element, with some voids that
may not be transferring heat to the water, you risk localize hot
spots and boiling.

Better to find a bigger load, or make one. BTW, what are you doing,
cooking some big bacon there?

73
John
K5PRO