[Amps] Heathkit HL-2200

2 2 at vc.net
Thu Feb 6 14:36:33 EST 2003

>A CB filter?  Really!  I've never heard of that!

The SB-221 was the first Heath amp with a CB filter.  The HL-2200 was the
second.  A CB radio technician worth his salt can convert a SB-221 to 11m
in under 15 minutes.

>An old friend of mine
>(W6KAT), has one of these amplifiers.  If I remember him correctly, he said
>that when this amplifier came out, there were mods to increase it output
>power.

Not that I have seen.  However, for 11m use, some Coax-Wax ® will
supposedly make your feedline less lossy.

>I thought nothing of it back then.  As I got older and began
>learning more about amplifiers, I see that the 2200 only has 2 3-500Zs.  My
>guess is that it does all the power it can...per design.  Am I correct and
>do you remember these 1980's rumors?

3-500Zs can be operated at 4500VDC on SSB, but the Heath bandswitch and
the Tune-C can't.

>Thanks Rich!

ur welcome, Dino

>BTW, I don't like the green either!  :-)
>
>At 08:36 AM 02/06/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>

>> >Which came first SB220 or HL-2200?
>>
>>SB-220
>>
>> >What are the
>> >differences between them?
>>
>>The 2200 has a CB filter, a different cabinet design and it lacks the
>>puke-green paint.

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end