[Amps] 2879 biasing

Bill Eitner kd6tas at netzero.net
Wed Feb 19 21:38:48 EST 2003

> >> I use 200 per.
> >
> >Hi Rich,
> >
> >Just to be 100% sure -- since most of these amps have boards with a pair
of
> >transistors -- do you mean 200 per TRANSISTOR or 200 per BOARD?
> >
> The mfg of the radio said 200 for a pair.  That was not clean enough, so
> I went with 200mA ea.
> cheers, Vic

    What was the flange temperature?

    Remember that unless you're using a temperature
    compensating bias circuit the resting collector current
    will rise as the heatsink, flange, and B-E junction(s)
    increase in temperature.  In a nutshell, what is Class B
    and a little dirty at room temperature can quickly become
    Class AB and clean after the first QSO--especially with
    15 volts on the collector(s).
 -=[Bill Eitner]=-

Link to A.M. Tutorial and rec.radio.cb FAQ:
http://www.bigradios.com/kd6tas