[Amps] AL-80B questions

Skram, Helge (MED) helge.skram at med.ge.com
Mon Mar 3 10:50:33 EST 2003

Hello

I have an AL-80B amp, purchased some years ago with a problem. The first
owned said it had popped and developed resting current when keyed (may have
been 250mA). It was sent to service and the zener that sets bias was
replaced. The original Amperex 3-500Z was reportedly gone and a new 3-500Z
from Pride was purchased. Then I got the amp.

Before I put in the new Pride tube, the amp was inspected and found to my
surprise that the amp cover was still with masking tape ! When Ameritron
paints the cover it is masked with paper tape where it it supposed to
contact the amp chassis. It is then normal practice to remove tape before it
is used on the amp chassis. Not so with my amp !
I guess there was a shielding anomality of the RF compartment in my amp,
that may have contributed to parasitic oscillations. Anyway the tape was
removed and the AL-80B have worked very fine for several years and contests.

Ameritron was not contacted, since the first owner purchased it in Texas and
brougth it back to Norway.
The remaining masking tape was easy to fix.

Check that there is no tape on the underside of the AL-80B top/side cover.

Regards

Helge Skram
LA6MV