[Amps] Solid State Amps: 1500 watts is cheap if . . .

RFlabnotes at aol.com RFlabnotes at aol.com
Tue Mar 4 09:19:48 EST 2003

#1. We DO need to tun SSB. Many of us like to use voice communications and do
not support the gross waste of channel space that occurs with AM and FM.

#2. In order to build an amplifier, especially one with any efficiency, above
10MHZ, we will require MOSFETS with t(on)+t(store)+t(off) of well under 25nS.
What device would you recommend that we use to build the 1500 Watt amp that
passes your muster, not to mention the minor issue of FCC's requirements?

It seems to me that if you ruled the world, ham radio would be restricted to
CW and AM/FM with an Fmax in the low MHZ range. I am sorry, but most of your
brother hams are moving over to the other side of the room from you on this
issue.

Eric von Valtier K8LV