[Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Mar 4 23:13:22 EST 2003

A good example of where this comes into play is
early in the morning on 75 meter SSB during the
winter months. During the longpath opening at
my sunrise, DX signals are typically right at the
noise floor, whereas the big guns here in
California just sit on the peg of my S meter. In this
environment, the guys who are running setups
with mediocre IMD can wipe out the entire DX
window for everyone else, whereas the guys with
clean rigs can park 3 to 4 KHz from a weak
longpath signal without inflicting significant
damage.

This is a pet peeve of mine as some of the
more well endowed big guns ought to know
better, but don't really seem to care if they
have wide signals (I sometimes wonder if they
don't do it on purpose just to kick a little more
sand in everyone elses face).