[Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?

dj2001 at mn.rr.com dj2001 at mn.rr.com
Wed Mar 5 04:35:38 EST 2003

>A good example of where this comes into play is
>early in the morning on 75 meter SSB during the
>winter months. During the longpath opening at
>my sunrise, DX signals are typically right at the
>noise floor, whereas the big guns here in
>California just sit on the peg of my S meter. In this
>environment, the guys who are running setups
>with mediocre IMD can wipe out the entire DX
>window for everyone else, whereas the guys with
>clean rigs can park 3 to 4 KHz from a weak
>longpath signal without inflicting significant
>damage.
>
>This is a pet peeve of mine as some of the
>more well endowed big guns ought to know
>better, but don't really seem to care if they
>have wide signals (I sometimes wonder if they
>don't do it on purpose just to kick a little more
>sand in everyone elses face).
>
>73 de Mike, W4EF...........................................

Our biggest splatters here in these parts are the AM guys who take up
30, 40, and more kc of the 75 meter band.

Regarding the Icom 775, I have one and have not seen any power spike,
I use a peak hold wattmeter and it goes right up to 200 watts and
stops.

The TS870 had a good lab test report for IMD if I'm not mistaken,
anybody else know for sure.

On twenty meters I note a number of FT-1000's with processors on that
seem to be wider than other signals there.  Is there something about
the speech processor in the FT1000 that would cause it to splatter
more than others?

Finally I purchased  a 15 year old AL-80A, and after replacing the
1.5 meg resistor in the HV meter circut and adding a step start,
everything works like new.  It has the original 3-500Z and puts out
800 watts with about 70 watts of drive.  I happen to think it's a
neat amplifier with good construction.  I've been thinking of
replacing the antenna relay as it is a little clanky so I'm looking
at a PB enclosed K10 series relay.  Anybody have thoughts on this,
good idea....bad idea?

73

Dale J. K9VUJ