[Amps] Ameritron AL-80B - Alternative?

Rod Elliott ve3irf at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 9 14:40:32 EST 2003

Good morning!

Many thanks to all those who replied to my post.

To summarize as best I can:
1.      G-K shorts in 3-500s have been a big problem in recent years.
2.      The root cause is difficult to determine, hence controversial.
3.      Available technical solutions are not fully-proven.
4.      This is a no-winner, both for AL-80 buyers and Ameritron.

Weighing my options, here's what I'm going to do:
1.      To get me back on the air, a buddy has agreed to lend me a good
used Eimac 3-500.
2.      I'll buy and install a used Eimac of my own as soon as I can find a
good one.
3.      If either develops a G-K short, I'll post the news on this
reflector and dump the AL-80.
4.      If not, I'll happily keep the AL-80.

To those who may feel I wasn't listening, please know that I welcome and
value your input.

73 to all
Rod Elliott VE3IRF