[Amps] RE: Amps Digest, Vol 3, Issue 59

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Sat Mar 15 10:45:33 EST 2003

         The whole point is legal operations. Very few ham or for that
matter NO CB operator needs to be concerned with
filament currents over 30Amps.  You don't need more than 30 Amps filament
current in an amplifier that will
produce the legal limit. However, a few hams do use larger tubes and
operate them well below specs and run the
legal limit.  Some years ago the legal limit for most modes was half what
it is today and hams ran used 4-1000 tubes
that had reduced emissions to make legal limit amplifiers.
         A CBer has no use for a filament that draws more than 30 amps in
an amplifier because he can't legally own
an amplifier much less use it.  Frankly, I mostly find them to be no more
than a minor nuisance on this list.
         You could make it a list where people must meet certain
qualifications to participate. But, it would be a real problem for those
that screen them. Legal users of amplifiers are:

Hams
Broadcast transmitter operators and technicians  ( you really don't need a
license to do this anymore)
Persons working in legitimate research facilities.  ( plasma generators,
particle accelerators, NMR, mass spectrometry ......)
Technicians that work with certain medical equipment (MRI, various cancer
treatment devices)
And I am sure there are others.

But what really gets me is all the ads on ham trader list (QRZ list server
and others) that obviously are selling CB linear amplifers and
those  posting are obviously not a hams.

And the other thing that I find really objectionable are hams that assist
CBers build amplifiers, build them for CBers , or them selves operate out
of band as illegal radio operators ("freebanders").

73
Bill wa4lav