[Amps] 813 No parasitics

rlm 2 at vc.net
Tue Mar 18 05:16:52 EST 2003

>	Ok, you asked Skip; but let me suggest or better saying, ask, could be
>the 30 MHz highest frequency for full ratings?, or maybe at lower
>ratings you could have parasitics also?.

A grid-driven 813 has 0.2pF of (output-input) feedback-C, and even less
feedback-C in G-G configuration with both grids grounded..  This is
similar to the feedback-C of modern tubes which have 4 to 12 times the
max frequency rating of the 813's rating of 30MHz.  Thus, at frequencies
that are high enough for the XC of the 813's feedback-C to be low enough
to support regeneration, the 813 does not have enough gain to support
oscillation.  At 27 - 29MHz, the gain of an 813 is falling like a rock.
813s are unsurprisingly not popular with CBers.