[Amps] TL922A and AL80A

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Wed Mar 19 20:44:17 EST 2003

> I run AM quite frequently (Rich mentioned RTTY) and tune the amp with
> ~100W drive, then back the drive down until the amp is running at about
> 500W DC input (always in CW mode, BTW).  Seems to work quite well.
> That's why I'm interested this...

AM requires the amp run 1/4 or less of the peak output that you load the amp
for.
The amp would have perhaps 25% efficiency under carrier conditions.

At 500w input that's maybe 125w or so out, you could measure the exact
amount. That's about  375 watts dissipation, and 500W PEP output with normal
AM. You should adjust to your output numbers, but it looks like dissipation
is pretty low.

You might feel better about running a higher speed fan, but you would never
be taking the power supply or transformer.

73 Tom