[Amps] They're all Manure

TimNebo at aol.com TimNebo at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 09:05:00 EST 2003

In a message dated 3/20/03 5:54:31 AM Pacific Standard Time, W0YR at aol.com
writes:

> Those who choose to surmount the Olympian challenge of learning Morse code
> at
> 5 wpm (!!!!!!) and who go to a website and memorize the answers to the
> written test without knowing what any of it means are now welcomed as
> "hams."
>

> The people I describe try to give you their "First Personal" rather than
> their name or handle (old, pre-CB usage).  They don't give the other
> station's callsign, only their own, more out of ignorance of ham radio
> tradition than discourtesy.  They try to enter an existing QSO by yelling,
> "CQ-break, CQ-break."  They discuss such high-flown topics as how to
> increase
> their "PEPs" and why their "SWRs won't git low."
>
> They are trampling down 70 years of carefully crafted amateur tradition,
> parlance, operating courtesy, operating procedures and the vocabulary of
> our
> hobby, only to supplant it with the ways of the unlicensed, uneducated
> (technically), undisciplined and unwashed.

it is people exactly like you why myself and many other young radio
enthusiast have steered far away from ham radio during our years of tinkering
and playing marconi and will continue to avoid the ham bands like a plague.
you sir sound like a very hateful person that resents anybody who acts,
talks, or does anything different from what you consider to be the norm. i
hope you don't act like this in every aspect of your life or i suspect your
also one of those guys who wear the pointy white hats with eye holes. if you
enjoy and prefer the stiff nature "walter cronkite" type of operating then so
be it but don't hate others because they can relax and have a lot of fun on
the air while your busy worrying about sounding like an official radio man.
your hobby will continue to die as long as its filled with hate towards
anybody who is not a part of it.