[Amps] TL922A and AL80A

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Thu Mar 20 09:42:04 EST 2003

Hi Rich,

It depends on the band and the load, but usually ~50-65W for 550mA Ip.

At that load point, Ep is ~2650V or so, and Po ~950W.  Anode gets orange
after about 30 sec key-down, but tuning to that load point and then
switching to SSB with ~950W PEP seems to keep the tube and the amp very
happy.  Never measured IMD, though.

Driving the AL-80B with 100W seems to overdrive it regardless of band, i.e.,
no mo' suds, just higher Ig -- so no reason to ever do dat.

-WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill