[Amps] Hard-drive Dive

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Sat Mar 22 08:54:57 EST 2003

I said, in response to Rich's statement that his hard drive failed::

"Rich, since I installed a nichrome grounding wire from the hard drive case
to the computer case, I have not had any hard drive failures."

Rich then replied:

"sour grapes?"

Response:

I sometimes have trouble following your responses, Rich.  You say things
just to make other people look bad.   I looked up "sour grapes" in the
American Heritage dictionary.  It is listed as "Denial of the desirability
of something after one has found out that it cannot be reached or acquired"
What, exactly, does that mean in relation to my statement?  What am I
denying, and what could I not reach.

My point was that the nichrome grounding cable could have been just as
successful in your computer as the nichrome parasitic suppressors.  I have
the following amplifiers: an Alpha 76PA (using 3CX800A7 tubes0, an Alpha
76A, an Alpha 86, a home built 4-1000, a home built 3-1000, a Henry amp (I
forgot the numbers), an Alpha 77SX, a Collins 30L-1, and a Swan Mk II.  None
of them use nichrome parasitic suppressors.  12 years ago, I installed your
suppressors in my Swan.  It worked fine before hand.  It worked fine
afterwards.  Five years ago, after obtaining adequate test equipment, I
decided to remove the nichrome suppressors from the Swan.  It did not burn
up, but continued to work fine.  7 or 8 years ago, I had a BTI amp.  It had
fireworks.  I installed all of your suggested remedies.  It still had
fireworks. I removed the modifications then found the real cause, the Pi-L
network was wrong.  I had an SB-220, which did not use nichrome wire.  It
had no fireworks.

Bottom line is that all of my amps continue to work fine without nichrome
parasitic suppressors.  So, installing nichrome in any of these amplifiers
is just as likely to be successful as installing nichrome on my hard drive.
It will work just as well as installing cow magnets on my gas line.

I do not question the use by others of your parasitic suppressors.  They own
the amplifiers and can do whatever they want.  But, I own my amps and I can
do what I want.

What I said about the nichrome in the hard drive was in jest.  However, you
enjoy dishing it out but cannot take it.  The only reason I am responding is
to show that it is not sour grapes.

Colin  K7FM

---