[Amps] Hard-drive Dive

2 2 at vc.net
Sat Mar 22 12:58:59 EST 2003

>I said, in response to Rich's statement that his hard drive failed::
>
>"Rich, since I installed a nichrome grounding wire from the hard drive case
>to the computer case, I have not had any hard drive failures."
>
>Rich then replied:
>
>"sour grapes?"
>
>Response:
>
>I sometimes have trouble following your responses, Rich.  You say things
>just to make other people look bad.

**  Only when generously supplied with the essential material.

>I looked up "sour grapes" in the
>American Heritage dictionary.  It is listed as "Denial of the desirability
>of something after one has found out that it cannot be reached or acquired"
>What, exactly, does that mean in relation to my statement?  What am I
>denying, and what could I not reach.

**  That Mr. Rauch's utterances on parasitic suppression do not hold
water.  Playing the Sarcasm Card without taking bearings carries risk.

>My point was that the nichrome grounding cable could have been just as
>successful in your computer as the nichrome parasitic suppressors.

**  attempting to ride a dead horse.

>I have
>the following amplifiers: an Alpha 76PA (using 3CX800A7 tubes0, an Alpha
>76A, an Alpha 86, a home built 4-1000, a home built 3-1000, a Henry amp (I
>forgot the numbers), an Alpha 77SX, a Collins 30L-1, and a Swan Mk II.  None
>of them use nichrome parasitic suppressors.

**  But the 30S-1 reportedly did.

>12 years ago, I installed your
>suppressors in my Swan.  It worked fine before hand.  It worked fine
>afterwards.  Five years ago, after obtaining adequate test equipment, I
>decided to remove the nichrome suppressors from the Swan.  It did not burn
>up, but continued to work fine.  7 or 8 years ago, I had a BTI amp.  It had
>fireworks.  I installed all of your suggested remedies.  It still had
>fireworks.

** If the carbon tracks on the BTI bandswitch are not removed, more
arcing is likely even though the amplifier's vhf stability is improved.
BTI bandswitches, toasted & new:
http://www.vcnet.com/measures/BTI.bsw,JPG

>I removed the modifications then found the real cause, the Pi-L
>network was wrong.  I had an SB-220, which did not use nichrome wire.  It
>had no fireworks.
>
>Bottom line is that all of my amps continue to work fine without nichrome
>parasitic suppressors.  So, installing nichrome in any of these amplifiers
>is just as likely to be successful as installing nichrome on my hard drive.
>It will work just as well as installing cow magnets on my gas line.

**  Wes', N7WS, tests showed that Rp decreases when resistance-wire is
used instead of Cu-wire.  However, the same improvement can be had by
increasing L-sup --  provided that a low-enough inductance R-sup is
available that can disippate the additional 10m heat burden placed on it
when a good conductor like Cu or Ag is used for L-sup.  The hat trick is
finding a 12 or so nH resistor that can dissipate 25w.  Do you know of
such an animal ?

>I do not question the use by others of your parasitic suppressors.  They own
>the amplifiers and can do whatever they want.  But, I own my amps and I
>can do what I want.

**  who said you could not ?

>What I said about the nichrome in the hard drive was in jest.  However, you
>enjoy dishing it out but cannot take it.  The only reason I am responding is
>to show that it is not sour grapes.

good luck

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end