[Amps] Re: COLLINS Engineering

RFlabnotes at aol.com RFlabnotes at aol.com
Sun Mar 23 12:01:11 EST 2003

Ian:
       I agree with you 110% about Collins/Rockwell technology. That
particularl era/group of engineers really set the benchmarks. If you read
through any of their publications (of which there are, sadly, way too few)
you can clearly see how RF engineering was properly done by-the-numbers.
Warren Bruene's ingeniously simple little directional wattmeter was really an
outgrowth of the circuitry that they had developed over a period of many
years for phase-detection in auto-tuners.

       My opinion is that the level of wisdom which that group brought to RF
amp design (not to mention many other areas of communications gear design)
makes much of the discourse that take place here look like cosmic debris.

       Like it or not, when you design stuff for the military and aviation
industries, one-liners WILL NOT do. You do it right, prove that it is right,
no excuses, no passing the buck to invisible experts. If you don't, you don't
get paid.

73
Eric von Valtier K8LV

P.S. For the record, what was GB's equivalent of COLLINS? Never saw much of
it over here, but I am sure that Plessey, Ferranti, or someone like that knew
a thing or two about this subject too.