[Amps] Filament Inrush Control

Alek Petkovic vk6apk at eon.net.au
Wed Mar 26 17:22:32 EST 2003

At 11:24 PM 25/03/2003 -0600, Phil Clements wrote:
> > >BTW, Rich, sitting proudly between the anode and the plate
> > >choke is a suppressor made from Nichrome wire.(3 resistors,
> > >and a "U" shaped wire)
> > >
> > Tnx, Phil.  F. E. Handy, P.72 in the 1926 Handbook:  "The combination of
> > both resistance and inductance is very effective in limiting parasitic
> > oscillations to a negligible value of current."
>
>I happen to know for a fact that the "grate parasitic debate" was closely
>followed by the folks at Emtron, as well as other posts here on the reflector
>that ended up incorporated into their products. There is more than one way
>to skin a cat. I congratulate them for delving into uncharted waters with the
>4CX1600B and coming up with more features from "The Nearly Perfect
>Amplifier" than any other manufacturer. They are doing 9 bands with only
>one plate choke,  and liberal fault protection. The transformer is 50 hz, so
>it ought to work in most parts of the world. Unfortunately, the selection of
>the 4CX1600B set Emtron back in production for many months because
>what few tubes Svetlana was producing were going to established volume
>customers. Just what a young, upstart company needed...hardware to
>sell, orders in hand, and no tubes!
>
>(((73)))
>Phil, K5PC

Yes, my DX-2 has the 1600B tube and the factory Nichrome.  Today's models
use a larger and more readily available tube with a redesigned tank circuit
as per the pics and specs on the website. Can't say if the Nichrome is
still in use but I suspect that it may be.

To save double postings. Eric, I now realise where you are coming from but
I wondered why one would bother inventing a wheel when there's a perfectly
round one available for immediate use. Hi.

Cheers all and remember to work us (VK6ANC) in the WPX contest this
weekend. It's our local club station and we're doing the contest as a field
day event. 20 guys, gallons of beer and no women for a whole weekend. Now
that's what Amateur Radio is all about.

Alek,
VK6APK