[Amps] Bleeder Resistor Qusetion

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sun Nov 16 18:31:03 EST 2003

>Need Your Advise.
>
>I have built a 4kV-dc power supply capable of 1.0A CCS. I purchased the
>best parts that I could afford... 50A-220V auto-transformer, Peter Dahl,
>K2AW's HV14-1, oil cap & etc. What I didn't give much thought to, until
>now, is the bleeder resistor.
>
>What are you using and why?
>
>I have four(4) 50K @ 100W vitreous enamel power resistors on hand. That
>would give me a 20mA load @ 80 watts. Is this too light a load. I've
>always used the "rule of thumb" for a 50mA load. Does the bleeder really
>help in dynamic regulation?

**  With a resonant-choke filter, enough bleeder current must flow to
keep the output V from soaring during RX.  With a capacitor filter,
bleeder current does not improve V-regulation, however, the bleeder
current should discharge the filter C in a reasonable time.  I am
currently building an amplifier HV-PS filter with seried 1120uF/450VDC
capacitors.  I will use one 100k-ohm/3w bleeder per 450V capacitor.  This
should provide enough bleed-down time  to reasonably discharge one bottle
of Beck's or St. Pauli Girl.

cheers, Steve