[Amps] Capacitor Recommendation Needed

Dennis Ashworth K7FL at ARRL.NET
Sat Oct 4 17:27:16 EDT 2003

I need to insert a 1000pf of capacitance in series with my 80M vertical to
move the resonant frequency up to the phone band. I have been using a
vacuum variable, but would like to use it in another project - and change
to a fixed capacitor. The logical choice would be a fixed 1000 pf vacuum
capacitor. Failing to locate a fixed vacuum cap, what low loss dielectric
materials should I be considering given the frequency, voltage and current
involved. The driving impedance is 40 ohms and I run the legal limit.
Therefore, currents will be in the 6-8A range ... voltages probably less
than 500 V.

Thoughts on dielectric materials and sources would be most appreciated.
Although this is not AMP related, I suspect you folks know the answer(s).

Dennis, K7FL