[Amps] Capacitor Recommendation Needed

George & Marijke Guerin gmguerin at voyager.net
Mon Oct 6 09:07:48 EDT 2003

Dennis, etc.,

I would try to find vacuum padders, or even a vacuum variable.  Padders are
regularly available in 50, 100 and 250 pfd cheap at hamfests.
I would not try ceramic door knobs unless you find some rated for high
current.  I think many small value ones in parallel might be OK.  We tried
to make an 80 meter trap using a big high voltage 150 or 200 pfd door knob
and blew it up on the first test with power!!  Three 75 pfd door knobs in
parallel or four 50 pfd door knobs worked OK for that trap with the
inductance trimmed to 80 CW

Good luck    George    K8GG