[Amps] Titan 425: High SWR on 28 MHZ

rlm r at somis.org
Wed Oct 15 09:09:21 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 03:22  AM, John Bohnovic wrote:

> At 09:58 AM 10/14/03, rlm wrote:
>> •  The 10m tuned input of the Titan 425 needs to be reworked to raise
>> the Q (from around 0.6 to around 2) if it driven with other than a
>> Ten Tec radio.  Another solution is to use a tuner after the radio.
>
> Rich,
>
> What is so different about TenTec radios?

•  Ten-Tec's Chebyshev output filter apparently exhibits some Xc.  To
compensate for this, a 50pF tuned input C-in is used.  Normally, c.
200pF is used for C-in of a 10m g-g tuned input.

> I've never had a problem driving any amplifier with my TenTecs. Are
> you suggesting that TenTec designed the Titan 425 to work with only
> TenTec radios? (If they did they sure would be placing a limit on the
> sales of the amp.)

•  A tuner semi-fixes the problem.  There are no perfect amplifiers.

> How does the Q affect the SWR in this case? Did he report that the SWR
> was acceptable in one part of the band and not the other?

•  No

Rich Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734.  www.somis.org/