[Amps] Water cooling heat exchanger approaches

Skram, Helge (MED) helge.skram at med.ge.com
Wed Oct 29 15:52:47 EST 2003

The water is in direct contact with the 7289's.
The original air cooler radiator has been removed and replaced by water
cooler jacket.
This screwed directly onto the anode. There is a input and a output tube for
water.
Are using plastic hoses to a automotive heat exchanger, water pump and a
water resevoir.
There is no RF on the anodes, since this is an cavity amplifier. The anode
is on the outside of the cavity.
There is only DC potential on the anode. The water should be deionized.

It is not a good idea to have different metals in the cooling system, but it
seems unavoidable by using the heat exchanger. Corrosion is axellerated by
increased temperatures and maybe also by the DC voltage.
The water is contaminated over time and must be replaced at 2-6months
intervals.

In the beginning there was some white sluggish stuff in the water, that I
decided must have come from the plastic material in the water reservoir.
This could have been release of softener from the PVC water reservoir tube.
It was not corrosion products, because these are more like white powder.

The system has worked fine in about 1 1/2 years now.

73 de LA6MV
Helge