[Amps] Tuning a 30L-1

Vic Rosenthal vic at rakefet.com
Fri Oct 31 07:59:44 EST 2003

Dan Levin wrote:

> If I tune the amp for maximum power output, I tune it with less Load than
> the previous method (the manual's method) would suggest, and I get
> about 700 watts of output at 600 ma of plate current.

Although I don't have a 30L-1, it's common that you get better IMD
performance from a gg amplifier when it is loaded slightly more heavily
than the point of maximum output.  So what you see makes sense, and if
you are operating SSB it would be a good idea to tune according to the
instructions.  Grid current will increase in the more lightly loaded
condition, although I don't think this would be a problem for the 811As.

Vic K2VCO