[Amps] SB221: Can you saftely mix and run an Eimac 3-500Z with and RF Par...

peter.chadwick at Zarlink.Com peter.chadwick at Zarlink.Com
Mon Apr 5 15:51:43 EDT 2004

Rich said:

>However, the old solder is Pb-Sn (lead-tin), which should not be mixed
with silver solder,

I'm not sure exactly what Rich means by 'silver solder' in this context. If
he means the high temperature ( 600 - 800 deg C) stuff we use for model
steam engine boilers and fittings, you have to get all of the lead/tin out,
or it won't solder at all. Lead/tin alloy will solder to silver solder OK,
but not the other way around. The 'silver solder'  I use has borax as a
flux, needs a gap of around 0.001 to 0.002 inches to flow into, and runs
beautifully.

I suspect Rich means a 'HMP' - 'High Melting Point' alloy, containing some
silver, rather than a true silver solder like 'Easyflo' (which also
contains cadmium, and needs particulalry good ventilation if you're going
to do a lot of soldering).

73

Peter G3RZP