[Amps] new amplifier results

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Fri Apr 23 12:19:30 EDT 2004

Is Heath Robinson the UK's version of Rube Goldberg here in the states?

>Worked, but always seemed a bit Heath Robinson to me......
>73
>Peter G3RZP

I am testing a new RF PA, this one using the THALES TH781 (former
Thomson) tetrode:
Here are some of yesterdays results. Today am making linearity tests,
both amplitude and phase. Its running at 200 MHz, in class AB2. The
output is pulsed, about 10% on time, 0.9 mS long pulses.

>Ea=14.1kVDC, Ia=21 A pk
>Eg2=1500, Ig2=700 mA pk
>Eg1=-300, Ig1=180 mA pk
>Pout=157 kW, Pin=6.3 kW
n=53.2% (not PAE), Gain=14 dB

It is a very sweet amplifier, stability is excellent. Now if I could
like the anode power supply overcurrent problem.

Off to the Albuquerque hamfest tomorrow.

73
John
K5PRO