[Amps] 3-1000z output?

R.Measures r at somis.org
Sat Apr 24 11:34:07 EDT 2004

On Apr 23, 2004, at 4:51 AM, Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL wrote:

> Dennis Watkins opined:
>
>> No..
>>
>> Allen (Marty) Martin wrote:
>>
>>> There is a guy claiming 3 kw output out of a homebrew amp running a
> single
>>> 3-1000z on qrz.com. Is this believable?
>>>
>>> Marty
>

> To all the nay sayers, "Be careful here..."  Zach Reynolds, W4TXL,
> (R.I.P.), used to entertain visitors to his incredible shack with an=20=

> amp
> called his "Money Machine."  Zach would ask you if you could get a KW
> out of an 811A.  You would laugh and say, "No."  He would then ask if
> you would care to bet on it.  You would say, "Sure, why not.  No way=20=

> you
> can get a KW out of an 811."  Zach would then proceed to insert a =
brand
> new 811A into his money machine, complete with a Bird Peak Reading=20
> meter
> to act as referee.  He would then hit the Key and point to the Bird. =20=

> If
> you weren't blinded by the 811A "light bulb," there it was...over 1 KW
> on the scale.  After having won the bet, he referred to his "Money
> Machine" as his "811A Destroyer."  The tube life was measured in
> milliseconds, but it put out over a KW, and you had lost the bet!
>
> A 3-1000Z with ca. 4500v and a pair of 811As as drivers will emit a=20
> good
> deal of light and a surprising amount of RF...for a limited time, of
> course.  But enough to win the bet.  I just wish I had as many =
3-1000Zs
> as Zach had 881As (cases and cases stacked in a closet, just waiting=20=

> for
> a gullible engineer who said "No way!").  In this case the life
> expectancy is considerably more than milliseconds but less than years.
> By the way, the ca. 800ma limit that Rich mentioned isn't the limit in
> this case.

=F0  Ken --   A look at Eimac's 3-1000Z characteristic curves tells us=20=

that for linear service, 800mA avg/2400mA pk is just about it. =20
However, for non-linear service,  1000mA avg is probably do-able with=20
enough drive since there are those LIDs who drive a 3-500Z to 500mA,=20
and it has only c. half of the pk emission.  .