[Amps] AL-811H on 6m

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Aug 11 12:48:12 EDT 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 7:43 PM, Crawfish wrote:

> One of the folks on VHF Contesting list is wanting to put his AL-811H
> on 6m. I told him that 2 each 811A's would work, but IMHO, the output
> capacitance would be too high to work on 6 with all 4 tubes. I would
> appreciate opinions, here or off-list. Thanks in advance.

-  If a tube has an RL of 2000-ohms, for a tank Q of 10 (Eimac method),
  XC1 (reactance of the Tune-C) would be 2000-ohms/10 = 200-ohms.  At
50MHz, 200-ohms of XC is presented by a 16pF capacitor.  Thus, if the
anode-C of the tube is 5pF, the Tune-C would need to cover 11pF.
-   If 4 of the same tube-type were connected in parallel, RL would be
2000-ohms / 4 = 500-ohms -- so, for a Q of 10, XC1 would need to be
50-ohms, which is 64pF at 50MHz.  Since 4 of these tubes would have an
anode-C of 4 x 5 = 20pF, the Tune-C would need to cover 44pF.
-  If 20 of the same tube-type were connected in parallel, RL would be
2000-ohms / 20 = 100-ohms, XC1 would be 10-ohms, whixh is 320pF at
50MHz.  Since the anode-C is 20 x 5pF = 100pF, the Tune-C would need to
cover 220pF.

Thus, the only limit on paralleling tubes is that a suitable Tune-C
must be provided.  In the above case, a 6 - 25pF variable would be
suitable for one tube, and a 25 - 250pF would work with the 20-tube
version.
cheerz, Joe