[Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Wed Aug 25 10:36:17 EDT 2004

Ed,
Generally, the tube spec sheets have ratings for both ICAS and CCS,
where CCS is what you want for this or close (100% AM Service). If the
tube is ran CCS at the tube manufacturers ratings it should last because
CCS is a 100% duty cycle. The only thing that would hamper it is the
transformer being too small and the cooling the amp manufacturer
supplied. If the air flow is within the CCS rating of the tube(s), that
only leaves the transformer. Generally, most amps are designed around
ICAS for a 50% duty cycle using an AM carrier (Some are less!). SSB, is
way less than AM so it should raise the rating up to about a 75% duty
cycle or so I would think. A 10 minute broadcast isn't what I would call
CCS by any means, so in my opinion, it should work. You may want to
check the cooling though. The only thing that would hamper the amp
manufacturer from giving a rating would be that they are not sure about
their transformers rating! I would hope that they're not just ordering
transformers without them actually determining the amp and volt ratings
themselves. With 10 minutes of broadcast, generally a 10 minute rest
afterward is required too (50%). This changes of course when going
toward 100% duty cycle.

Will Matney

From: Ed Briggs

"They responded " In theory 450 watts should be safe for key down operation but we could not guarantee the tubes would survive this operation."