[Amps] Centurion cooling improvement ideas for AM service

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Wed Aug 25 16:56:15 EDT 2004

Ain't it the truth though, I guess they could even take requests =). In
what I was explaining to Ed, I did mess up a bit, I should have said
"modulated carrier" when I was speaking about how they rated them using
an AM signal. However, they do take the carrier into more consideration
than the modulated power due to the duty cycle. The transformer is
supposed to be able to sustain the carrier without putting any real drag
on it. That is for any amp that is AM-CW capable. I was under the
assumption they are all still made this way today as I don't recall
seeing any commercial SSB only tube amps (unless homebrew). I might be
wrong but I notice they're CW capable on all the advertisements. One
thing about it though, if those AM conversations were that long (20
min), a very long SSB broadcast shouldn't be any sort of a problem!
Wonder what rig and amp they were running?

Will Matney

-  I have heard AM transmissions from amateur radio operators that
droned on and on for over 20 minutes,  One wonders when such operators
will start taking on-the-air telephone calls from short-wave listeners?
  CDs of such sessions could be sold over the counter at drug stores as a potent sleep-aid.