[Amps] Audio BW -- Please just let us operate!!

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Fri Aug 27 15:27:48 EDT 2004

> A possible solution to the problem of bandwidth vs. quality is to
> develop of form of digital audio encoding that employs a data
> compression scheme similar to the variable bit rate method that's used
> in some forms of mp3 encoding.

A good point, Vic -- and to the League's point in their proposal, I believe
the intent is to foster emerging digital technologies to do just what you
describe.  In fact, not only is the technology here, but the product is too.
See the following link:

 http://www.aorusa.com/ard9800.html

With a bit of data augmentation, such a product has real promise for those
wanting to explore high fidelity audio on the HF bands.  The modulation
technique in this unit is DPQSK.

Since this is an AMPS mail group after all, I am interested in knowing more
about the peak-to-average ratio of the data and how it fits within the
acceptable duty-cycle of today's commercially-manufactured amplifiers.

-Paul